Crepes!



We don't do pancakes in my house - we do crepes! Lots of crepes! Thanks to my dear friend who bought me my fabulous crepe pan several years ago - they are a household favorite. They are super easy to make. And once you have the pan nice and seasoned, you won't need a lot of oil. As long as you make sure your pan is kept at the right temperature they'll never stick and come out perfect everytime! We like them with just sugar or with apricot jam and of course Nutella! Remember to dust them with powdered sugar and enjoy. I thought I would share the recipe here:

1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 eggs

Whisk all of the ingredients together until you have no lumps and let sit for about 15 minutes before using. Your batter will be thin. Prep your crepe pan - heat at medium heat and add a teaspoon of oil to coat the pan. Once your pan is hot drop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan and rotate the pan so the crepe is paper thin and evenly distributed over the surface of the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes and with a thin spatula, flip it over. As this side cooks spread your filling - a sprinkle of granulated sugar, a tablespoon of your favorite jam or Nutella. Once the filling is nicely distributed (about 1 minute) fold in half, then fold again, plate it and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Repeat!

A couple of tips - 1) I usually reserve the first crepe for the dog. For some reason the first crepe is never the best so if you go into it knowing that the first one is a goner the rest will come out perfect. 2) The secret to spreading the jam or Nutella is to have it melt a bit before trying to spread it with an offset spatula. 3) Try a sugar one with a splash of Grand-Marnier. 4) Fresh fruit is great too!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for the recipe!! Will be great addition to our Easter Brunch Menu. Can I use a different pan if I don't have a crepe pan?
Linda said…
What a delight to read about your crepes! I make these at home on special occasions for my son, but call them sweet pancakes. I've never had an actual recipe, just whisk egg and flour together and then add enough milk to make it perfect! You're right about the first one . . . but I usually end up with that one (no dog!). My son is still sleeping this Sunday morning. And it isn't a special day, until I make the sweet pancakes for him when he wakes up! Thanks for adding a touch of the special to my day. Think I'll even get out the china for the breakfast. It seems to suit the lovely April morning.

Popular Posts